(LUKE 5:1-7, JOHN 15:16)
INTRODUCTION: The account preceding this passage suggests that Peter and Jesus had known each other. Luke 4:38-39 shows that Jesus healed the mother-in-law of Peter.
Three 3 major words are apparent in the topic discussion:
- CHOSEN (John 15:16)
Chosen: is to be called out of many (John 15:16) Out of many, God picks you for a purpose Rom 8:29, 1Peter 2:9, 2tim 2:20-21, Rom 9:11-15. We should look and aim for divine ordination. God has a purpose for a chosen vessel. We should always surrender ourselves for God’s service
Service: is the effort we put into the kingdom business.
The purpose of being chosen is to serve;
(1) Servants think more about others than themselves. They are self-forgetful. Authentic servants do not use God for their purpose but use self for God’s purpose.
(2) A servant thinks as a steward not owner, when a servant serves as a steward faithfully, he will be promoted
(3) Servants think about their work not what others are doing. They don’t compare, compete or criticize other servants – luke10:38-42.
Martha was condemned because she was not focused on her job. Romans 14:4, Neh 6:2-3.
(4) Servants base their identity in Christ Jn 3:30.They willingly accept a job that others consider low for their status Jn 13:3-5
To serve for increase, settle your identity in Christ – IIcor 10:18.
The closer you get to Jesus, the less you need to promote or project self.
(5) Servants think of ministry as an opportunity not a right – john 12:26, Neh 6:10
- THE PATH TO INCREASE
(1) Accept the authority of Jesus as a servant v3,4
(2) Respect the sacredness and supremacy of God’s word Ezek 17;23-24
(3) Act against common sense. Faith makes us act contrary to common sense
Expect result for every Godly step.