Text: Psalm 139:1-12, 23-24.
1. INTRODUCTION:Two vocal words are Church and Workers
A. The church means the ‘called-out ones” (I Pet. 2:9) i.e.
* The nation of Israel (Deut 31:30)
* The assembly of people built by Jesus (Matt.16:18)
There are two concepts of the church
(a). Universal or Invisible Church
These are the redeemed people through the blood of Jesus who are scattered all over the earth, (past, present and the future). They will be identified at the return of Christ (Heb. 12:23).
(b). Visible or Local Congregations
These are local assemblies of all baptized believers in Christ Jesus. They are found in Groups or denominations and in local units all over the place.
- Workers means responsible Christians in the various assemblies
- They are co-labourers with God (I Cor.3:9)
- They are God’s labourers (invited) (Matt. 9:37-38).
- They are God’s field (I Cor. 3:16-17)
- They are God’s house (I Cor. 3:16-17)
- They are receivers of God’s grace (II Cor. 6:1). This grace should not be trivialized, it must be made use of.
The Purpose of the Church
To evangelize the whole world, that salvation may be made available to all men through the redemption given by Jesus on the cross of Calvary ( I Cor. 3:10).
2. A. Workers have duties to perform:
(i). Because God chose them and put them in place (John 15:16)
* To harvest God’s already ripe fruit (John 4:35)
(ii). God has given each worker a priviledge
- To live a spiritual life i.e. To have an ideal relationship with God
- To shun secular lifestyle – this is a life that does not believe in the existence of God or that God is not relevant in one’s life ( I John 215-17).
(iii). God wants every worker to play significant roles in the growth of His Church.
- Workers have challenges to face:
These challenges may be physical or spiritual
Reasons: i. You are no longer friends of the world
- You are set to continually depopulate satan’s camp. He is prepared to frustrate and hurt you.
3. (i). The watchful eye of the Lord is on you (Psalm 139:1-12, 23-24)
* (Vs 1-15) He knows and understands you very well
* When you sit, rise, go out, come in, he sees and knows all your ways
* (Vs 6-12) You cannot hide yourself from Him (God)
* If you go anywhere or you hide under anything, He sees you clearly.
(ii). Submit yourself and time to God, that He may lead you in His way of everlasting (Vs23-24).
- Conclusion: What you need to note very well.
(i). You must be totally committed to the service of God (I Chr. 28;9). Let your service be gladly done to make your church grow-God will mark it for you as a service (Matt. 24:35-37, 40).
(ii). Know that all services rendered faithfully shall be adequately rewarded by God (Malachi 3:16-18).
(iii). You should not be lazy workers in His vineyard (Jer.48:10)
(iv). Try to improve on your service to God regularly (I Cor.15:58)
(v). Do your assignments with fear and trembling (Philip 2:12)
(vi). To be a worker is a priviledge
- Do not use it to boost y our economy
- Do not use it to oppress people or make people unhappy
- Do not use it to earn public ovation
- Do not use it to blackmail your church or your church leaders.